18. January – 14. June 2018
Cybèle Varela - Tropicalismo Remixed
Cybèle Varela: Tropicalismo Remixed is the first retrospective in Europe to be devoted to Brazilian artist Cybèle Varela (b. 1943, Petrópolis), one of the key figures of the Brazilian Pop Art and Tropicalismo movements.
Investigating all main aspects of Varela’s artistic production, the show explores the role played by identity and personal history, social and political issues, as well as transnational experiences in the definition of the artist’s oeuvre.
Cybèle Varela: Tropicalismo Remixed presents a selection of the artist’s most emblematic paintings, objects and videos from the 1960s to the present day. By shedding new light on the artist’s many achievements, it investigates Varela’s contribution to both Latin American and international artistic discourses, from Pop and Conceptual Art to Narrative Figuration and Video Art.
Daniel Faust, Director
Valentina Locatelli and Ariane Varela Braga, Curators
With the support of: artEDU Stiftung & Brazilian Embassy in Bern
The exhibition is accompanied by a rich illustrated catalogue which includes essays as well as an interview with the artist (Silvana Editoriale, Milan, ISBN 9788836637362)
Events to the exhibition
- 01/18/2018: Vernissage - Cybèle Varela - Tropicalismo Remixed
- 01/20/2018: Workshop - Cybèle Varela - Tropicalismo Remixed
- 03/08/2018: Brazilian Night - Noite brasileira - Cybèle Varela
- 04/12/2018: Guided tour - Cybèle Varela - Tropicalismo Remixed
- 05/13/2018: Open on sunday - Cybèle Varela - Tropicalismo Remixed